Safe Home Day Advocate
Agency Overview: The Safe Center LI, Inc. (TSCLI) is the leading provider of services to victims of interpersonal violence in Nassau County. The agency provides comprehensive services to victims and survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse, human trafficking, and elder abuse. The Safe Center is a thought leader that seeks to develop and implement innovative interventions to meet the multifaceted needs of victims and survivors.
Program Description: The Safe Home is a confidentiality located emergency shelter for those who have experienced domestic violence and need a safe place to live. We are a 17-bed communal living facility that services both families and individuals. Under the supervision of the Assistant Director of the Safe Home, the advocate provides advocacy, supportive, life skills, and transportation services for our clients.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide advocacy and accompaniment services for adult and child clients at the Safe Home including but not limited to the Department of Social Services, schools, housing, outside agencies, law enforcement, courts and other entities depending on each individual client’s situation.
- Crisis intervention
- Transport client to necessary appointments using agency vehicles
- Conduct shelter intakes and orientation of new clients
- Clean and prepare rooms when clients leave, process new clients belongings for health and safety
- Assist clients in learning how to use public transportation and become acquainted with surrounding community resources
- Providing safety planning for client travel, use of technology, and other related matters
- Monitor daily activities of clients while in the house, as well as respond to phone and door
- Assist with monitoring of children when necessary
- Use of shelter’s fire and security system, conduct monthly fire drills
- Maintain logs daily, detailing distribution of funds, metro cards, etc.
- Daily entries in client database and log, detailing client engagement
- Assist with all aspects of billing including monthly credit card receipts
- Ordering/ shopping for house items such as bedding, food, toiletries, toys etc.
- Inventory and management of groceries, household, office, and emergency preparedness supplies
- Distribute personal care, household, and baby related items to clients
- Organizing special events and celebrations
- Conduct weekly house meetings and creative workshops
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by supervisor
- Associates Degree and/or one-year relevant work experience which includes paid or volunteer work experience with victims of domestic violence and/or in the direct provision of human services preferred.
- Residential and/or shelter experience preferred
- Work holidays as assigned by supervisor/ provide coverage for support staff as needed
- Work out of other locations in cases of emergency and relocation of shelter clients is required
- Must remain on duty until coverage is found if the next person working is not able to come in
- Maintain a valid driver’s license
- Ability to utilize an agency vehicle to transport clients to necessary appointment
- Ability to use email, computer, fax machine
- Lifting and moving of household and client items.
- Must be vaccinated against COVID-19
Salary: $38,000 yearly salary, additional $2,000 if bilingual
The Safe Center is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnic origin, national origin, , religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, , marital status, parental or familial status, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, , status as a protected veteran, military service, housing status, other non-merit factors, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The Safe Center believes that diversity and inclusion are critical to providing comprehensive and quality services to the communities we serve. Our goal is to hire, promote and retain a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities we serve, at all job levels. We encourage those with lived experiences in the communities we serve to apply.
 All rules regarding leave accruals and benefits must be adhered to.